⚙️ EPISODE #205: It’s difficult to improve on the simplicity of Shaker furniture. But an ordinary Shaker tapered leg is perfect for showing the dramatic difference an easy “pillowing” technique can make. In this episode I show you a straightforward hand-worked process for adding this organic effect which, although subtle, provides a significant change in the appearance of any flat surface, causing it to look more contemporary or Danish modern. And it’s a lot of fun to apply to boot! Hope you enjoy it! (Closed captioned)
⚙️ NEXT ONLINE COURSE WITH TOM: Bowfront End Table – start August 31. Topics include: Pillowing, dovetailing a bowfront drawer, veneering, etc. Join us for the live sessions or watch them later at your convenience. Companion Plans available as well. Learn more here: htpps://www.epicwoodworking.com/product/be
⚙️ MAILING LIST for EPIC NEWS: https://www.epicwoodworking.com/mailing-list
⚙️ Visit https://www.epicwoodworking.com for Online Courses and Plans with Tom McLaughlin, In-Shop Classes, Events, Neighborwood Membership discounts, and more!
⚙️ SUBSCRIBE here and CLICK THE BELL to be notified of future live events and video uploads.
⚙️ EPISODE LINKS:
• Tom’s spokeshave is a Stanley 151 – older model you can find in used tool settings, but get one of good quality or you will struggle with it.
• Crescent Nicholson 10″ Half Round Second Cut Pattern Maker’s Cabinet Rasp #50: https://amzn.to/3GKacqq
• Swiss Pattern 8″ File: https://amzn.to/2SQwT4C
• Cabinet or card scraper: https://amzn.to/32bcFWN
⚙️ RELATED VIDEO RESOURCES:
• How to Make Your Own Tool Handles: https://youtu.be/4_k_SUl_AsM
• How to Sharpen a Card Scraper with Tom McLaughlin: https://youtu.be/njTeEK-Ba00
• How to Tune and Use Scrapers: https://youtu.be/G6ZYokAf7YQ
⚙️ TOM’s PORTFOLIO: https://www.epicwoodworking.com/portfolio
LIVE EVENTS are filmed in the shop of Tom McLaughlin, host of TV’s Classic Woodworking and Shop Night Live. Tom loves to pass on the craft of woodworking by creating projects to present in live video form backed by his over 30-years of experience making fine custom furniture.
FTC Disclosure: In general, the links we provide through Amazon are affiliate links, which means we will receive a small commission if you purchase something using that link. Affiliate arrangements are not a focus for us, but we do want you to be aware of this one.